I've always said that when I die I want people to say of me that I served as Jesus did. I try to live my life accordingly. I have gone through a bit of a rough time, as most of you know, and was very me-focus for what seemed like forever. Slowly, I'm being brought back to this place where a deep longing is to serve. I'm reminded of it while I'm at my new job and am refreshed by all the possiblities it has given me to serve others. I am looking into volunteering for an organization called Young Life that works with youth and children in Montgomery; which is another outlet for service. I am so excited about getting back on track with this. I also see another opportunity to serve and it may be as simple as befriending an old woman. Today I was walking back from lunch and this old woman started talking to me...mind you I was a ways away from her, so I tried to walk towards her a bit. I was cautious at first because I wasn't sure if it was a man or not! She seemed to fit the bill for a homeless person right down to her grocery cart, but I'm not sure at this point. She started saying something about Thursday or Friday and then I heard skirts??? I ask her what she said and she repeated that if I'd like to give away some skirts she'd take them....but something about paying thursday or friday. I was still trying to be cautious, because my dad says I'm a sucker, so I said okay and to have a nice day. When I went inside I found another co-worker, who I think is a Christian, and I asked her if she knew anything about the woman. I was told that this woman is always asking for clothes and things but they weren't sure what she did with them. My co-worker said she had spoken with her before and thinks that she might get some sort of government check but her family takes it before she can get it. My heart is broken for her and I remember where Jesus says, "whatsoever you do for the least of these, you do also unto me." And I don't think it matters what she does with the clothes, because it is something she says she needs. So I am praying that the Lord will show me ways to reach her. And perhaps give me opportunity to get to know her. I'm going to be honest and say that it is not the most comfortable thought for me....it is definately a step out there. Yet, I know that if I were this woman.....a friendship with someone who cared would speak volumes. Please pray for me as I encounter this woman. Pray that I will be sensitive to the Lord's leading and that I would be proactive in what He is leading! I don't want to miss any opportunities to serve and I know that the number one thing that can stand in my way of it....is myself! I'm looking forward to how I'm grown through it. Have a great week and remember JOY...Jesus first, Others second, and Yourself last!
Bird Death Count
Babies: 15
Adults: 2
1 comment:
I'll be praying for you and the opportunities with this woman.
Please keep us updated on the hurricane stuff...you aren't exactly on the coast but you could get some nasty weather.
Post a Comment