September 06, 2005

Chaotic Katrina

I'm ashamed to say that I have been avoiding the subject of Katrina, but that is exactly the truth, so why lie! Honestly I know it can be depressing to be surrounded by it all over the media and not have an oultet for the emotions it envokes. Yet again I feel guilty because I am able to escape the distruction and so many are not able to. My wish in writing this is to simply let out my feelings and concern for the people who are having to see it on a daily basis. Honestly, I'd love nothing more than to be with them, hugging on them, and picking up debri and helping to rebuild thier lives and homes. It breaks my heart to hear so many of them on TV crying out that no one cares for this reason or that...especially when it is not the case. We do care. Its unfortunate to me that everyone, especially the media, are detrimentally focused on all the people to blame and less focused on what is actually being done to help them. We know where the blame lies.....it was the hurricane! Who can prepare for the distruction that it caused?? And if you do figure out someone to blame....what good is it going to do you?? That will not help rebuild your homes, it will not bring back the people who have died, and it will not erase from your minds the horror that you might have seen in the disaster. It will not benefit anyone. Instead the focus needs to be on what IS being done to help those in need and those who are caring for them. We must remember that faith is believing in what is not seen. So that means believing something is being done even when you don't see the direct results. Help cannot be immediate for everyone...yet it will come! It breaks my heart to hear and see those who are taking advantage by stealing, and preventing help from coming by being violent. It also breaks my heart to see that there are still those who believe that race would actually stop someone from wanting to help. I had thought we were growing passed that....but I guess I'm just naive. Well, I feel like I'm starting to ramble so I must stop. Please, remember to pray for these people for God's provision, protection and peace. He is able to bring about good from bad situations. We must pray that He will show Himself in this trajedy and that people will see Him, maybe even for the first time. That is the best thing that could happen from this chaos!

3 comments:

jason7655 said...

update it my friend...what's going on with you.

Jen M said...

Hi Abbey, I would email you back, but I don't have your address. Give me a call or email me directly created@pobox.com

jason7655 said...

abby...

how's life treating you...need an update.