June 24, 2005

The Pursuit of Knowledge

So here is a question that I am most certain I will get reamed for. That is quite alright though because I'm really just chewing over it myself. I've been thinking for some time now that the cause of the fall of man was the temptation of achieving knowledge. To be exact it was to obtain the knowledge of good and evil and, therefore, become like God. So....if the pursuit of this is what led to the fall of man, wouldn't it be a warning sign to us of the same outcome. (Not that man can fall again but that the consequences are harsh and deadly.) Perhaps simply the knowledge of good and evil, or the loss of innocence, is the only thing that we are to protect ourselves from. I can't help thinking though that as scholars pursue more and more knowledge of doctrine and theology they become more and more in bondage to that knowledge. I'm not suggesting that we should simply toss out the pursuit of knowledge alltogether. After all, we would not be more than vegetables if that were the answer. Even a baby's movement is a gain in knowledge. Maybe what I am trying to say is that we should be careful in what knowledge we are pursuing. The Bible says that the "fear of the Lord is the begin of knowledge." I think that instead of striving for the perfect doctrine and spending hours debating and researching....we should simply put our efforts into growing in our knowledge of Him. Not doctrines about Him. Simply who He is. Learning about who He is from His Word alone is more beneficial and less costly than the pursuit of theological doctrines. It was the fishermen and the tax collectors that Jesus chose to use greatly.....not the scholars. The scholars were too busy in their pursuit of knowledge to be bothered by Jesus. They let the pursuit overtake the actual Truth sitting before them. I fear that we are at risk of this today. Be careful in your pursuits and make sure that the most effort is put into truly knowing Him not in understanding the rules or the theories.

No comments: