June 26, 2005

One down.....another disappointment!

Today began my search for a church. I decided to step outside of the denomination that I am accustomed to and visit a Methodist church. After all, I think that denominations are just another way to separate God's church! (However, I fully understand the reason for their existence.) So I walk in the church with a friend a little before the service started. There was another service ending as we arrived so my friend and I decided to explore a bit. We walked down the hallway and saw the youth room and what looked to be a little bookstore. (Which seems to be more and more common in today's churches and a subject that I might write more on later.) I was looking at the books when I saw some anointing oil for sale, this isn't too out of the ordinary for me but I was surprised to see it at the Methodist church. Who knew? I kept looking on this product table when I saw another item that they were selling. It was some sort of bath care line or something called Abba. Um.....They were selling Shower Gel at the church and the line of products was basically called Father??? Perhaps this shouldn't have had the effect on me that it did, but from that moment on I was a little less than excited about my first attempt to find a church. I was momentarily reminded of the time when Jesus overturned the temple because of the market being held in it. Pushing that thought aside my friend and I went into the auditorium. It was dimly lit to assist in a worshipful atmosphere and was somewhat smaller than I had imagined. The praise band started and I tried to get into the worship but it was the same ole praise songs done the same ole way. After a while these songs loose their meaning because they are way overdone. I guess it is just like the law of diminishing returns....Which happens to be the only thing I learned in Economics class. The preacher gets up and starts talking about this medical mission trip to Brazil, which I am super interested in since I love Brazil. Then he goes on and on about Brazilian Methodists and how they love to worship and we Methodist need to worship like those Methodist, Methodist, Methodist, Methodist! blah blah blah.....I was beginning to feel like I was in some other Baptist churches I've been to. I don't want to hear about your denomination....I want to hear about Jesus thank you! I'm so tired of the same old thing. Everywhere I go the focus seems to be off! Anyway, before I get off on that tangent...We sing a couple more songs and then my friend and I decided to just go ahead and leave. I had the worst attitude by that point anyway so it was pointless to stay. It is all my fault because I have such high expectations and they just aren't met. I'm not looking for a perfect church, though it may sound that way, I'm just looking for more! My friend Michelle and I were talking tonight that it is hard to put into words what we are looking for in a church. We just know that we've been a part of churches before who had it and we cannot settle for less. Once you've tasted the best it is so hard to accept anything less. I really don't feel that the Lord would want us to either. So....That is how the search has begun....Now I have to get back to the drawing board and decide which church is next. Not that this is entertaining, but I shall keep you (whoever "you" are) posted.

1 comment:

dashadra said...

Hey Abbey!!
Thanks for your comment on my blog! I am so glad you did that...I have been wondering why I havent seen you around. I hope you are having a good time back in AL. I work for the dean of Theology now, so email me sometime and let me know what is going on in your life...blayne@swbts.edu

have a great day!!