May 23, 2004

Communication!

I was reminded Sunday of one of my biggest frustrations. It drives me insane not to be able to communicate with someone. Every time that it happens I'm reminded of why we have different languages. It was the because of the people who were building the tower of Babel. (Genesis 11) In my opinion, and I know it is true because God thought of it, scattering them and confusing their language was the perfect consequence. It breaks my heart not to be able to talk with everyone that crosses my path. Sunday,in church, there was a hearing impaired family and I was heart-broken because I couldn't talk to them. I pray that I will learn to be aware of people and their needs and then allow God to use me to help meet those needs. I also pray that I will be willing to study, or do whatever necessary, to overcome the boundaries that may hinder the work that He wants to do. I think one way to show someone who speaks another language, even signing, that you care about them is by learning their language and speaking with them. Even if they speak you own language. Truly they will see the likeness of Christ when you take the time to be part of who they are and part of their culture.

No comments: